Thursday 10 November 2011

Arthur Thomas Smilliams - Last Entry

It had been raining all week yet the miserable downpour was nothing compared to the chilling atmosphere among us Australians back home.  The war had been raging now surpassing all kinds of weathering and toil.  The only thing that hadn’t changed moved or even stirred in the slightest was the status of the war.
If you asked me yesterday what I thought of war my answer would simply be, ‘It’s stupid.’ And if you asked me yesterday whether I would consider enlisting I would answer with the same nonchalance, ‘You’re stupid.’
But it wasn’t yesterday. It was Thursday and suddenly the presence of danger seemed more imminent than ever.  I don’t know what put the idea in my head. It could’ve been anything or everything from the constant chatter to the several headlines that reminded us that the consequences of a war so far away still applied.
‘If you are physically fit and between 18 and 44 years of age, are you really satisfied with what you are doing to-day?’ a poster stated.
I was fit but I wasn’t satisfied. All I really did was complain but now things had changed. How rotten this feeling felt to know that a threat approached us and I – a capable adolescent male – had not done the best I could for our nation. The disappointment my family would feel and to fight by the side of brothers who had come to their senses long before me. The solution to my problems was clear.  I enlisted first thing this morning.
‘If you are physically fit and between 18 and 44 years of age, are you really satisfied with what you are doing to-day?’ a poster stated.

http://www.anzacday.org.au/history/ww1/homefront/5ques.html

No comments:

Post a Comment